Friday, October 2, 2009

Went to the Burial at Arlington National Cemetery

For my neighbor, MSgt Wade. (Note first name, not last, I'm not blogging that out of respect for his privacy)

As with any institution, it is end of life where the where the ritual becomes its most elaborate and intricate, and I think that the sense that it gives the loved ones of their place in the continuum of society and culture is a good thing.

The rigidly at attention honor guard, the flags and their folding, the firing of a salute, and the bugler playing taps all serve to show the loved ones of the deceased that they are a part of something bigger.

That being said, when the honor guard fired their weapons (bolt action Springfields, I think, they were manually working an action), my son, who hates loud noises, he's an Aspie, and this is symptomatic of being on the spectrum, jumped and covered his ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment